Wednesday, February 19, 2014

To Teach His Own

It is 11:40 pm here in Madison Wisconsin, and I cannot sleep. My mind keeps racing back to earlier today to the creamery we patroned. Not to the little scene of delicious flavors seen in cups and on cones, not in the big smiles as two little Girls carried their Ice cream across the parlor. Not even in the tasting going on back and forth between girls and Mom and this grandma. But something else caught my attention. Something magnificent.

A small table behind us offered an interesting scene. That being a distinguished looking older man, confident and professional. His demeanor made me guess he was a professor at the University of Wisconsin where we sat eating icream at the agriculture program's creamery.  Across from him sat a very young woman. As they spoke, I couldnt help but hear. He talked about her potential and opportunities for her in "leadership."

They shared a few minutes of ice cream and he was obviously mentoring her, and she was receptive. The scene made me smile.

Somehow God places people in our path to help us to become who he knows we can become.

A warmth fills my heart as I remember such people who were instrumental in bringing me to where I am in my life's blessings and achievements.  I wonder where I'd be if Sally Olsen hadn't been my Beehive teacher. If I didn't every week see her white laced tablecloth with a picture of the temple on it. If I didn't see each week her husband come in and so thoughtfully help her to put her lesson displays away, and witness his adoration for her. Sister Olsen told me blessings are Gods promises fulfilled and that I could have the same happiness she had, and I felt her testimony of God's love for me. I believed her.

I wonder where I'd be if good teachers hadn't been in my path. Being a teenager can be hard sometimes. In fact, Somedays it stinks. My Theatre coach Ted Clearman who knew something wasn't quite right, could catch my low days and would say things like, if he were to have a daughter, he'd like her to be just like me.  My English teacher, Joe Anderson, who told me I had talent, and if I worked hard enough I could be a great writer, and who opened his home to me allowing me to babysit his children.  My drafting teacher, H. Lee Holmes, also my bishop-- who when my mother fell seriously ill, did welcome into his home for several months as a daughter. Influence unrestrained.

Kent Brown was perhaps my hardest teacher, my publisher and career guide. He saw me doing things I'd never conceived. Writing multiple books for print, leading and teaching writer workshops, speaking to large audiences, promoting myself and my works through media, school appearances, and signings-cracking the shell I was holed up in, he led me into the spotlight. It was hard as I was shy. He even appointed me as a trustee on the board of Highlights Foundation, which I so love, and served for years. I'm not shy anymore.

My husband. My wonderful husband is my greatest and will be my greatest mentor. Knowing me my strengths my weaknesses and loving me Deeply despite my shortcomings. Believing in me and always teaching me new and interesting ways to make me whole and my life so very full of goodness.
The influence of mentoring/ teaching is life changing.

It's interesting to look back at all the people who have or are now mentoring you. You can see traces of them in the seams that make up your life. My dear friend Mel, taught me how to be a good mother in my young mothering years. She taught me about eye level, and voice tone, and how to act vs react. I've no doubt God placed her in my life as well.

To teach his own, he's given us each other; in experience, wisdom, and inspirational epiphanies. I think of that sweet vision I caught earlier today and feel just a sweet fullness of gratitude for all who have sat across the table (metaphorically speaking) from me.

I pray I live up to your teachings, thank you for them, and hope to use them for good--without disappointing. 

The sweet thing about being given to, is that we then get to give to others what has been given. Giving back is the best when the table turns.




No comments:

Post a Comment