Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sweet Somethings

As I was wrapping up Knowledge #2, I was reading through the Personal Progress Book to see what I wanted to do next, and I learned the menu goal I had been doing, was actually required for Good Works #2, so I placed the reached goal there and decided to take a new approach to deepen the meals at home goal. On my menu shopping, once I worked out the kinks, it worked great!

When my sweet Mom Ries comes, it means I get to learn to cook a bit differently. She and my Mom have both been recently diagnosed diabetic. Although my mother is the first I know of, for diabetes, on my side of the family, it is in Mom Ries's genetic makeup. Dad Ries once told me growing old isn't for the faint of heart. It's hard to see our parents begin to see body changes knowing these changes aren't easy. But I marvel as I watch how they relearn and conquer and it makes me proud of them. None of our parents simply accept or wallow in anything. They get tough and going against it to win over the opposition, and I love that about them. maybe that's where I get my resolute grit?

It does make me think though, about what I might change now to buy health later. To complete learning a skill for Knowledge #2, Mom Ries has been teaching me simple nutrition and about better cooking. For example, I thought cutting junk food sweets was cutting sugar, but white flour, white potatoes, regular pasta, white rice. All that pours fast sugar into the bloodstream. It's all bad carbs. Whole grain wheat flour, wheat pasta, red potatoes, and brown rice is better. I learned you can even buy brown rice partially cooked frozen in Costco. Mom says it's great so you can still time everything right and it's a good consistency. Corn syrup is the worst.

I've also been learning about sugar substitutes. Ideal is my favorite. It looks just like sugar, and bakes like sugar, but has to be ordered online. I've also been experimenting with splenda. Still, everything needs to be in moderation. It's been interesting learning from, shopping, and cooking with Mom. It is tricky, and she showed me that even though a label might read low sugar, you have to go inside the label to learn what kind of sugar it is, and what kind of flour is used as in crackers. I thought meals without sugar or whites would taste like chalk and be bland, but I've been surprised. Even my great aunt Beverly's own banana bread recipe was really good with flour I ground myself. Dad said the wheat gave it a real home grown earthy taste which he liked. Sugar Free chocolate cake was good, although I had to add milk to the frosting as it kept pulling the cake skin off as I frosted, but it turned out okay and the ugly mass covered. I might keep some of these changes for my own family, especially if it's better for us in the long run. I'm tempted to prick my own finger to see how my blood sugar is... as that's part of that life too, but not tempted enough.

On the George Fox project, everything is in and now we wait. My next goal will be Individual Worth #2. It's about reviewing our blessings. I think in preparing for Writing From the Heart, this is a good time to look upon the gifts the Lord has given me and to be reminded that I have it within me to help others progress and grow and to give to others what has been so graciously given to me in time and mentoring. One of my favorite weeks of summer is here.



No comments:

Post a Comment